What Are Terpenes?
All the different terms surrounding CBD may be confusing for newbies. Many people are aware of the basics, like tinctures and soft gels, but are unfamiliar with the word terpene. Those with experience in CBD manufacturing use the term terpenes regularly while debating different strains. The following article discusses what terpenes are and their origin.
What Are Terpenes and Where Do They Originate?
Terpenes are essential oils or chemical compounds that are present in numerous types of plants. They are the source of the distinctive scents and act as a robust defense mechanism and draw pollinators.Multiple terpenes can exist in one plant, and when it comes to cannabis, it has nearly 200 of them. The chemical compounds come from the trichomes, which are tiny crystalline hairs on the bud.
What are the Effects of Terpenes?
However, it’s more than sensory stimulation because the chemical compounds also produce many psychological and physical effects. Some may also interact with the endocannabinoid system similarly to CBD. The difference there is that they are absorbed and used in different ways. Such effects may include:
- Antidepressant and anti-anxiety
- Pain relief
- Boosting energy
- Enhancing respiratory function
- Improving concentration and memory
- Anti-proliferative activity
Primary Types Terpenes
The hemp plant contains multiple types of terpenes, and some of the most well-known ones are:
- Myrcene: A chemical compound with an earthy, citrus scent and relaxing aftereffects
- Limonene: Present in citrus fruits and some cannabis strains, Limonene’s fragrance is sweet citrus
- Pinene: It offers anti-inflammatory and antiseptic effects and exists in pine trees, needles, and certain cannabis strains
- Linalool: It has a floral, spicy smell and can help in relieving psychological stress and depression
- Caryophyllene: With a spicy-sweet combo, caryophyllene can mimic a cannabinoid’s character
Those are just some of the well-known terpenes in CBD manufacturing. More research is going into exploring the wide array of organic compounds cannabis possesses.Meet the GMP certified CBD Manufacturer Sawyer Labs with an accountable, traceable, and verifiable system. As a CBD manufacturer, Sawyer Labs produces a wide range of CBD products in-house and offers a quick turnaround time. They offer tinctures, muscle pain cream, gummies, mints, and so much more. Get in touch with them today for best value cannabidiol products.